Be a Volunteer
4/6/20: Due to COVID-19 we are not accepting new volunteer/mentor applications at this time.
All visitors to campus must check in with the front office before going into the school. This is to ensure the safety of all children and staff at FWE. If you are interested in volunteering at our school, we would welcome and thank you! All parents/volunteers should park in front of the school in the designated areas.
Please check with your child's teacher, or our volunteer coordinator, Mrs. Burke, for more information. All parents, family members and friends who may want to volunteer time on field trips or in the classroom, do need to be approved by the School Board of Highlands County.
Effective October 2, 2017, all volunteer applicants will undergo a Level 2 background screening. Volunteer fees will be the responsibility of the applicant for applications submitted for field trip purposes only. The fingerprinting fee is collected at the time of fingerprinting in the amount of $40.75, payable by debit/credit to a third-party vendor. Volunteer fees for ongoing volunteer services will be borne by the District.
Approved volunteers will remain active for five (5) years from the date of approval. Upon expiration, a new volunteer application must be submitted for approval. It is the responsibility of the volunteer to maintain active status.
The volunteer form is available online and needs to be filled out every five years.
More information about volunteering can be found on our district's Web site: https://sites.google.com/highlands.k12.fl.us/sbhc/community
What can volunteers do?
Volunteering at FWE presents a great opportunity to make contacts, understand the curriculum and meet our staff. Each grade has multiple needs and several ways for you to contribute. The best way for you to help out depends on who you want to have contact with, what your talents are and how much time you can contribute. Here are some ways to get more involved:
- Join the PTO. The PTO supports and betters the school. This is usually done through fundraising, after-school event planning and project management
- Volunteer within the classroom. This is a great way to see your child and her teacher in action. You may get a great new perspective on your child's strengths and weaknesses, even if you are working with other students in the class
- Re-shelf books in the Media Center
- Make photocopies
- Tutor students who need extra 1:1 support
- Organize learning centers or other instructional materials.
- More, more, more!